Karin Linda Schiøler
Øster Farimagsgade 5, bg. 9, indg. P, Postboks 2099, 1014 København K, CSS, bg.9, Building: 9.1.14
2016 - present
Associate Professor, Global Health Section, Dept. Public Health, University of Copenhagen (UCPH)
2010 – 2015
Assistant Professor, International Health Section, Dept. International Health, Immunology and Microbiology, UCPH
2007 – 10
Post.Doc., International Health Section, Dept. International Health, Immunology and Microbiology, UCPH
Member of the Study Board for Global Health, Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences, UCPH
Member of the Study Board for International Health, Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences, UCPH
Occupational Health and Safety Representative, Global Health Section, UCPH
Board of Admission, MSc. Global Health, UCPH
Research fellow, Windward Islands Research and Education Foundation (WINDREF), Grenada, West Indies
Ph.D., Microbiology, St. George's University, Grenada, West Indies
Thesis: Dengue transmission and surveillance in a small island setting: A case study from Grenada.
Research conducted at the Windward Islands Research and Education Foundation and the Department of Microbiology at St. George's University, Grenada, West Indies
M.Sc. Biochemistry, UCPH, Denmark
Thesis: Detection and quantitative analysis of malignant cells from patients with multiple myeloma, using PCR-based methods
Research conducted at Herlev University Hospital, Denmark
Erasmus Felllow, University of Padova, Italy
B.Sc. Biochemistry, UCPH, Denmark
Course development and responsibility
2017 – 2019
Master's Thesis (20 ECTS), Masters of Disaster Management (MDMa), University of Copenhagen (UCPH)
2014 – 2018
Research Methodology and Ethics (7.5 ECTS), MDMa, UCPH
2013 – present
Health Research Methododology (7.5 ECTS), Masters of Science in Global Health (MScGH), UCPH
2010 – 2014
Research Design (2.5 ECTS), MDMa and Master of International Health (MIH), UCPH
Development and/or contributions to e-based teaching materials
- Better Thesis: Free online resource on research project developement, UCPH, University of Southern Denmark Library and Unit for health promotion research and Denmark’s Electronic Research Library (DEFF)
- Introduction to Culis: Absalon-based e-modules on Copenhagen University Library and Information Service System, UCPH
- Search Strategies and Electronic Resources: Absalon-based e-modules on literature searches and reference management,UCPH
- Fatma Saleh: "Dengue and chikungunya transmission and vector bionomics in Zanzibar" (Enrolled at KCMC, Tanzaia): Ongoing
- Deborah Charles Kajeguka: "Sero-prevalence and distribution of Dengue and Chikungunya in communities with different malaria endemicity" (Enrolled at KCMC, Tanzaia)
- Chia-Hsien Lin: "Transmission patterns and risk factors for dengue infection in the modern urban setting: A demographic, spatio-temporal and entomological study in Kaohsiung City, Taiwan" (Enrolled at UCPH): Ongoing
Master, B.Sc., M.Sc. supervision
Ann-Kristin Welsing, MScGH: "Thesis Title: Addressing the health of young people in humanitarian crises: A systematic review of the effectiveness of interventions, programmes and services"
Sandrine Biduda, MScBiotech: "The temporal prevalence of molecular resistance to pyrethroid insecticides in Aedes mosquitoes from Taiwan" (co-supervisor)
- Alexandra Mandroiu, MScGH: "Zika, Community-based primary care and the Sexual and Reproductive Health Rights debate; A case study from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil 2017"
Sofie Ellen Thomassen BScMed:"Epidemics of severe infectious diseases in Burkina Faso: A review of the epidemiology and general clinical manifestations reported for the period 2000-2016"
- Mohammed Y.A Alsarahna, MDMa: "Women and Cash for Work: an investigation of the challenges and opportunities faced by single women in the CFW programme in the Zaatari camp, Jordan" (co-supervisor)
- Benedetta Amici, MScGH: "Community Participation for the Sustainability of Malaria Vector Control Programmes: A Case Study from the Indigenous Community of Bisira, Panama"
- Rahma Ali, MDMa: "Ebola: Knowledge, practices and preparedness among health professionals in Unguja, Zanzibar"
- Emmanuel Kwaku Sanwuok, MIH: "Sustaining the community-based disease surveillance system; the motivations and challenges of community-based surveillance volunteers in the Wa municipality of the upper west region of Ghana"
- Christopher Blom, B.Sc.Med.: "Neutralisering og 'Enhancement': Antistofresponset ved infektion med Dengue virus"
- Laura Glinsman, B.Sc.Med.: Thesis title: "Svær dengue og immunopatogenese"
- Christian Berg, B.Sc.Med.: "Dengue i Europa – En fremtidig virkelighed? Forekomst af dengue i Danmark og andre Europæiske lande samt implikationer heraf"
- Aleeba Kojo Jacob, MIH: "Assessment of public perceptions and preventive behavoirs related to w135 meningitis outbreak in Jiripa district of upper west region of Ghana"
- Abdullahi Sora Abagira, MDMa: "Evaluation of the integrated disease surveillance and response strategy in Garissa district, Kenya"
- Chia-Hsien Lin, MPH: "Dengue Activity in Kaohsiung City, Taiwan, 2002-2008" (co-supervisor)
- Lærke Heidman Juul Andersen, B.Sc.Med.: "Fordele og ulemper ved at genindføre DDT" (co-supervisor)
- Linnea Rishøj Thorlacius, B.Sc.Med.: "The immunopathogenesis of severe dengue fever: Implications for vaccine development"(co-supervisor)
B.Sc., M.Sc., Ph.D.