Associate Professor / Head of Studies
Øster Farimagsgade 5, bg. 9, indg. P, Postboks 2099, 1014 København K, CSS, bygn. 9, Building: 9.1.15
- Master of Public Health (MPH - 120 ECTS) 2003, Nordic School of Public Health, Gothenburg, Sweden
- Diploma of Public Health (DPH) 1997, Nordic School of Public Health, Gothenburg, Sweden
- Master of Science (MSc) Biology 1984, University of Copenhagen, Denmark
- Associate Professor, Global Health Section, Department of Public Health, Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences, University of Copenhagen (2015 - )
- Senior Adviser, International Health Section, Department of International Health, Immunology and Microbiology, Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences, University of Copenhagen (2012-2014)
- Senior Adviser, Environmental Health and Health Impact Assessment, DBL-Centre for Health Research and Development, Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences, University of Copenhagen (DBL was formerly the Danish Bilharziasis Laboratory)) (1984-2012)
- Head – WHO Collaborating Centre for Health and Environment in Sustainable Development at DBL (1998-2012)
- Guest Lecturer at University of Aalborg, Denmark (2003-2011) and University of Southern Denmark (2006-2009)
- Guest Lecturer at the Nordic School of Public Health, Gothenburg, Sweden, (1992-2002)
- External Examiner (censor) in “International Health” and "Disaster Management" at Danish universities appointed by the Danish Ministry of Science and Technology (since 2002)
Research and Knowledge Management
- Author or co-author of a total of 163 publications (including scientific reports, book, book chapters, peer-reviewed papers and abstracts, etc.)
- Comprehensive management experience – e.g. as Head of "WHO Collaborating Centre on Health and Environment in Sustainable Development"; FP6 Coordination Action Work Package leader; Research programme supervisor.
- Participated in more than 70 national and international workshops and conferences (international health, environmental health, health impact assessment, water) many as oral presenter, chairperson, organizer, key-note speaker and panel member.
- Participated in a number of consultancies for e.g. Danida, World Bank, World Health Organization. Member of a number of professional societies including the International Association for Impact Assessment; the International Association for Ecology and Health; the Danish Development Research Network and the Danish Water Forum. Member of the Climate Panel of the Faculty of Science, University of Copenhagen and the expert panel of University of Copenhagen (climate change and health). Referee/reviewer at several scientific, international journals.
Capacity building / Teaching
- Head of Studies (Master of Disaster Management), Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences, UCPH
- Organizer and Course Director of more than 25 training courses in Africa and South East Asia and Denmark; Main focus has been on research management issues, health impact assessment and schistosomiasis control.
- Taught >15 courses on “Research methodology” in Denmark and Africa with emphasis on research proposal development, research objective development and knowledge management.
- Taught more than 50 courses on aspects of climate change and health, environmental health, vector borne diseases, and health impact assessment (HIA) mostly at the level of government authorities in developing countries and at universities in Denmark and abroad. Use of modern learning approaches like problem-based learning and e-learning. A comprehensive capacity development initiative on HIA covering Lao PDR, Vietnam and Cambodia has recently been completed. It comprised training courses, e-learning course development, policy formulations and development of technical guidelines.
- Comprehensive teaching experience and research supervision at Danish and international universities including supervision of 40+ Bachelor, Master and PhD students. Certified in teaching English-medium courses (UCPH, 2011).